1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And So It Begins...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoRedwings, Dec 3, 2013.

And So It Begins...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoRedwings, Dec 3, 2013.

1. GoRedwings

GoRedwings Tagged Donator

It has been a quite a while since I built a PC or tinkered with it. I am not sure when I am going to get time to complete it if at all as work in the Christmas month is disgustingly busy.

But anyways I have not even decided where I am going with the build but here's a starting point. I got this by accident as I was looking for something else and stumbled across it. The seller lived fairly locally and offered to deliver it at no charge. He also had a full watercooling setup which went inside it but I am still undecided by it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needs a bit of a clean but seems to be in fairly good condition. Couldn't believe he wanted to let this go until I took delivery of it and then I knew why. It's a extremely large case and maybe you can't tell in the pictures but it silly big.

So I thought I create a little build blog type and see where it goes.

So I have had a bit of thought about this new proposed setup and there seems to be two option which tickle my fancy.

Build 1.

Intel 4770k
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
    2x Samsung 840 evo 256gb
    Gigabyte z87-oc
    Samsung green memory 2x8gb
    2x 780ti sli/290x Crossfire
    Dell ultra sharp u3014 monitor
    Corsair 900d (already have)
    Corsair AX850 PSU (already have)

My existing monitor would then switch to my new mac setup. Also for some reason I am tempted to make my own budget watercooling setup for experimentation but that would be at a later date.

Build number 2.

Intel 4930k
    Asus Rampage black
    TeamGroup Xtreem LV 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-20800C10 2600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
    2x Samsung 840 pro 256gb
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
    Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q 31.5" Widescreen LED 4K Monitor - Midnight Black
    2-3x 780ti tri sli/290x tri crossfire
    Seasonic X-Series 1250w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
    Corsair 900d (already have)

In this kind of setup I would probably get watercooling over the air cooler for sure. THe bigest issue I have with the Dell monitor is neither the cost or the res it runs at. But the ancillary equipment that is needed to drive it. In build number 1 sli or crossfire setups are more than enough for the 2560x1600 res i should know I have run multiple crossfire and SLI setups to drive my dell 3007 for many years now.

In terms of monitor technology compare to say gfx cards monitor technology moves relatively slowy it only been these past two years that things have started to push forward. So with a 4k monitor Sli 780ti or crossfired 290x I would describe as the bare minimum to drive it if you are looking for a graphical array to drive a 4k monitor. And from what I have seen so far it seems to be the case.

Here's where things get slushy. To have playable framerates at good acceptable lvl at 4k you would have to step into the realms of tri crossfire and tri sli. And whie it seems costly and while it seems simple enough it's not. Anytime you need tri crossfire and tri sli you need a board with 3x pci lanes running at 16x bandwidth. Because what happens if you run it on a ordainary board is that you lose frames. Now while this framerate loss is neglible at low res it starts to come into effect around the 2560x1600 res and increases as the res goes up. And while something like tri crossfire and tri sli have stupendous amounts of grunt they will meet their match in the shape of a 4k display. You will be expecting to be getting around 60-80 fps with that kind of hardware on a 4k display.

But it doesn't end there. The scaling of tri sli and tri crossfire is bad. Bad in the shape that only a handful of games scale well with it with most not recognising the third card. Also the boards where the pci lanes that run full bandwidth across all lanes are x79 chipset based which is s expensive and to be blunt at the end of it lifecycle. Also tri crossfire and tri sli territory is plagued with cpu bottlenecking issues as the sheer grunt of these cards are way too mcuh for any cpu to handle.

Considering haswell is not a very good overclocking platform for enthusiasts and neither is ivybrige with most chips topping out at 4.4-4.6ghz won't cut it with tri crossfire or tri sli. So the only opther option is if you can;t overclock the hell out of the chip to bypass the cpu bottleneck then you have to buy a chip which has more cores instead.

This setup sceanrio reminds of the days when I first switch from a dell 2005 monitor to the dell 3007 monitor. If you are not a gamer you are laughing but if oyu like to play games on a then considered high res monitor then while it can be satisfying but also be prepared for a lot of frustation as well.

***Update***

So I have got some bits arrived. Here is my watercooling setup or part of. All I need is tubing, the water and possible a new reservoir as i don;t like this one. I picked this up second hand and I think the setup is overkill for my needs.

But I picked it up fairly cheap locally so it not too bad. Never ever built a watercooling setup before so will be interesting to see how I get on with it. Also got another WD 3tb red as i really like them and also on it way is 2x Samsung 840 evo's 256gb

[​IMG]

More Stuff arrived!:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So TOday more things arrived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So these were bought second hand and while I really want to jump in and build it properly I need to quickly these items work properly. What I usually do when builing any pc regardless if it is bought new or second hand is test the pc at stock and here is no different. So while I need to put the watercooling stuff in and what not I will just install it at stock settings and overnight test for stability.

But I still need to install the base system first.

[​IMG]

So with any build the first thing I do is install the PSU first.

[​IMG]

Because it doesn't take me long to build a pc I next install the I/O shield and then motherboard/cpu/ram. In past builds becuase I can build a pc straight to finish and get it installed in no time I always forget the I/O shield and while not essential it winds me up. I already have the CPU/and RAM installed before I mount it to the case.

[​IMG]

For testing purposes I will be using teh Stock intel cooler. Once I am satisfied it working fine the cpu will be removed, de-lidded and reinserted back into the setup with the watercooling parts.

The stock case fans will be removed and replaced but for now it adequate.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    MG likes this.
  2. GoRedwings

3. GoRedwings

4. GoRedwings

5. GoRedwings

6. Scorpiain

Scorpiain Tagged Donator

A) Is that a silent tower case?
    B) If so.. you lucky sod.

Im looking ot custom build a pc soon.. I have been pointed in your direction.. so will be following yours closely. *engage stalk mode*
  7. GoRedwings

It not designed for silence unfortunately. It more about building more extreme pc's with water cooling quad sli and all that jazz. To be truthful it overkill for what I need but seeming he was local and it was cheaper than paying what they ask at places like ocuk or scan I just snapped it up. Chances are it will sit there and nothing will be built in it but you never know.

I am not sure if I am the right person to ask about custom built pc's. I haven't built one for years now. But my main advice to you is to carefully consider two things above all else.

A) what is your primary uses realistically. When people tell me they do light video editing or sound editing and what they actually mean is they use it for that purpose once every 6 months then I don't count building a pc around that purpose cost effective or making use of the hardware. Once you know what you use your computer most of the time for you can get better advice from the BFB gorks who can suggest more specific components for your individual needs. Which can lead to longetivity of your setup and also more enjoyment.

B) A budget. You be suprised how many people overspend/underspend. Unless you are constantly changing your setup on a regular basis a majority of people at least keep their pc's for 2+years. So you need a budget to properly reflect on how long you tend to use the setup for. There is no right/wrong answer. Some poeple change it every 6 months and some every 4 years.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  8. Ralthen

Ralthen Tagged

hmm should pin the above post in the hardware section Red i think you use almost that exact same post each time someone starts a new build :)
  9. Scorpiain

Scorpiain Tagged Donator

Gaming PC that will last for a while. My current build is 3yrs old and is struggling now... but maybe I dont need a whole new build... Im not that confident in part upgrading though.. I would hate for a new card not to fit on motherboard or something..

Quick Summary -
    I7 core 3.2ghz overclocked to about 3.6ghz (Or so they said when they built the pc (I used a site to cobble it together)
    6gb DDR3 1444mhz
    Nvidea GTX295 (1.7gb Memory)
    1 TB hard drive (which is pants and probably bottlenecked my performance)
  10. Ralthen

Ralthen Tagged

upgrade your gfx card other wise your pretty well off by the way what chipset you using ?

on the hdd front maybe consider moving windows and a few of your games to an ssd and use the 1tb for storage of other stuff
  11. GoRedwings

Looking at your quick summary it sounds like they didn;t overclock it and rather it the turbo boost speed which is available to chips at stock speed.

The biggest improvement you can to your setup is actually gfx card. And if it an i7 at the very least it will be using something like and x58 chipset which basically means it has all the neccessary slots and what not to accomodate any futher upgrades. So you can rest assured taht any gfx card you put in will work providing you have the power supply to run it. After that the next speed increase is overclocking your cpu or getting a new cpu/motherboard combo.

After you could use a SSD drive to generally just speed up general operation and add a more snappy responsiveness to a setup. So you could use your existing PC as a foundation to slowly upgrade over time without breaking the bank and splashing out on a whole new setup.

There is nothing to fear upgrading your parts indidvidually when the time is right and funds allow. Most people learn over time on how to upgrade their setups and get more from it and there are plenty of people here who are more than willing to help and walk you through it.
  12. Scorpiain

Scorpiain Tagged Donator

Hmm, I will have to look into this some more... I deffo want a new case - Noise is quite an issue and it also has a lot of blue neon.. which I have grown tired of.

How do I find my chipset? And as for the overclocking, the pc has something called TurboV installed (which crashes as soon as you load it up) - So I suspect you are right about them "overclocking" it. through this way (which seems like a cheat)

If I was to replace the graphics card with a more up to date card with HDMI port... is this going to be an issue on a motherboard that doesnt seem to have a HDMI outlet?

*Redders, sorry for totally hijacking your thread, perhaps a lovely mod can move out convo to a new area <3*
  13. GoRedwings

Your post is fine where it is.

Right let's see off the top of my head. Any modern day gfx card will output via the HDMI port regardless if your motherboard has it or not. Though if memory serves me correctly the res will be limited to 1920x1200.

TurboV? Sounds like an Asus motherboard alright. People tend to overlcok via the bios at least the old skool does. I do not like software based overclocking.

As for cases this id down to personal preference and budget as a case does not have a direct impact on how yout system rums. It has an indirect impact on temps and noise levels.

It always a balance trying to find a case which is quiet and give the best low temps. I have used a few 'silent' cases although they are not silent quiet yes but not silent. The problem with these type of cases the temps in summer the airflow get stifled somewhat as they use low RPM fans which mean they spin slowly so they tend to make less noise but at the expense of airflow to your setup.

This time round I will go for case which may not be quiet by any stretch of the imagination but use high speed fans but using either a fan control header to control the RPMS or a ULNA (ultra noise adaptor) which means basically a resistor in series with the fan and motherboard fan connector.

Although you should be aware any modern day gfx card will make a noise regardless unless it is watercooled then even then it not completely silent quiter yes but not silent as you still will need fans in a watercooling setup.

I hope this gives some basis to give you a rough idea on where to start and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask the gorks.
  14. Ralthen

Ralthen Tagged

hey redders you will like this link ive been looking at improving airflow in my case nice list of quite fans comparison lists that show airflow, and noise levels at max speed
    http://www.quietpc.com/casefans
  15. GoRedwings

Original post updated
  16. Saundie

Saundie Prototype Staff Member Tagged

You know, you should probably buy my system from me, then upgrade the PSU and graphics cards ;-)
  17. GoRedwings

OP updated.

Saundie I thought you were RMA'ing the cpu?
  18. Saundie

Saundie Prototype Staff Member Tagged

I haven't gotten around to it. I was waiting for my Latitude E7440 to arrive, which it did this week, so I can RMA the i7-3960x next week.

Have you settled on your final specification yet?
  19. GoRedwings

op updated